We remain committed to improving the lives of our neighbors, especially the less fortunate among us. We created “the Loving Spoonful” program to partner with charitable non-profits throughout East Tennessee and provide in-kind donations to help those groups in fundraising efforts that address and ease the suffering and deprivation across our community.
Because of the significant number of donation requests we receive, we have put the following criteria and guidelines in place.
To be eligible for participation in our charitable giving program, preference is given to secular 501(c)3 groups that maintain a focus within the following categories:
- Women & Children – Dedicated to the well-being of women and children with a particular interest in serving children with special needs, survivors of domestic violence, or at-risk populations in our community.
- Arts, Culture & Humanities – Focused on preserving, commemorating and celebrating the artistic and cultural heritage of East Tennessee, including studio artists, performance art groups, public broadcasters, schools and museums.
- Human Services – Attend to the housing needs of the homeless, feeding the hungry, or providing literacy programs for children and adults.
- Environment – Promote conservation and sustainable management of land, water, plant and energy resources; promote preservation and appreciation of environment, including outdoor activities.
Due to the number of requests received, The Tomato Head does not accept phone calls regarding the status of a particular request and regrets that we cannot fulfill every one. Once your request has been reviewed, you will receive notification as to whether or not your request has been approved. Our preference is to direct our limited resources to local groups demonstrating the greatest need. As such, we are not able to accommodate out-of-area requests.
WE DO NOT FUND
- Educational Institutions (Exceptions are made for organizations within a university.)
- Endowment Campaigns
- Direct grants or scholarships to individuals
- Political causes, candidates, organizations or campaigns
- Advertising in charitable publications
- Sports Organizations
- Labor Groups
- Conferences, galas and charity balls
HOW TO BECOME A TOMATO HEAD PARTNER
All requests submitted must include the following information:
- Organization’s Name, Address and Office Phone Number (we do not mail to P.O. Box addresses)
- Organization’s IRS 501(c)3 number
- Organization’s mission statement
- Contact Person’s Name, Phone Number and Email Address
WHAT WE EVALUATE
Each charity is evaluated on two bases – alignment of charitable mission with our values as described above and the following financial performance metrics – these include but are not limited to program expenses, administrative expenses, fundraising expenses and fundraising efficiency. Financial efficiency metrics are based on criteria and benchmarks set by bbb.org, charitynavigator.org, givewell.org and guidestar.org.
WHO TO CONTACT
All requests must be submitted in writing on the organization’s letterhead (mail or email) to:
The Tomato Head
Attn: Scott Partin
12 Market Square
Knoxville, TN 37902